Pasadena divorce laws take domestic violence into consideration when determining many aspects of a settlement. For this reason, it's important to make sure that a divorcing couple recognizes the difference between a legitimate claim of domestic abuse and a simple expression of marital conflict.
It is normal for married couples to have different opinions on issues such as how to handle the family finances or how to divide household chores. Arguments over parenting concerns or different sex drives are also quite common. These types of disagreements are well within the bounds of healthy marital conflict. An argument based on a difference of opinion is not considered domestic abuse.
California state law defines domestic violence as causing or attempting to cause bodily injury and/or sexual assault against an intimate partner. The media tends to portray victims of domestic violence as female, but men can be victims of domestic violence too.
Domestic violence may include:
- Hitting, kicking, or punching
- Cutting, burning, pulling, or pushing
- Threatening you with a weapon
- Preventing you from seeing friends and family
- Physically restraining you
- Forcing you to have sex or engage in intimate activities that make you feel uncomfortable
- Threatening to hurt you or your children if you try to leave the relationship
- Preventing you from accessing family funds or seeking employment out of fear you will leave the relationship
- Stalking you when you are at work or engaged in social activities
If you are a victim of domestic abuse, this is an issue you should discuss with your lawyer immediately. However, please be advised that false claims of abuse in order to obtain a more favorable divorce settlement are against the law. It is not acceptable to falsely accuse your spouse of domestic abuse in an attempt to force him to vacate the marital home, prevent him from seeing your children, or gain an advantage in an alimony request.
How Can We Help?
Please call our office at (626) 683-8113 or email us at info@PasadenaLawOffice.com if you are searching for an attorney to represent you during your divorce. The attorneys at our Pasadena divorce law firm are able to handle a variety of divorce-related concerns, including divorces that involve domestic violence.