Who Gets to Keep the Ring After a Divorce?


If you are contemplating filing for divorce in Pasadena, you might be wondering if a woman is allowed to keep her engagement and wedding rings. While some people view the rings as symbols of a painful time in their lives and do not want to keep them, others are more concerned with the monetary value that is at stake.

Generally, the law allows a woman to keep both the engagement ring and wedding ring after a divorce. The rings are usually looked at as gifts and not a specific marital asset. But, if the ring is very valuable, it is possible that it will be a contested item in the divorce settlement. For example, in May 2012, New Jersey Nets forward Kris Humphries made headlines when he tried to get Kim Kardashian to return the 20 karat diamond he bought her. The ring was reportedly worth $2 million. Kris felt that their 72 day marriage was based on "fraud and deceit" -- thus allowing him to take back the ring.

How do ordinary couples handle a disagreement over rings? If a couple divorces and they have a daughter together, one compromise might be to agree to save the ring to give to her when she is an adult. While the ring may hold unpleasant memories for the divorcing couple, it will likely be viewed as a special keepsake of a happy time between mom and dad for the daughter who receives it. (It is less common for couples to agree to give a ring to a son, simply because he'd have less practical use for this specific type of family heirloom.)

Alternatively, a solution when both spouses want possession of a valuable ring would be to sell it and split the money. This can help alleviate some of the financial stress associated with getting a divorce, but it's important to consult several jewelers before selling in order to make sure you're getting a fair price for the ring.

If you have a particularly valuable engagement ring or wedding ring, it is a good idea to speak with your Pasadena divorce lawyer to learn more about your options for dealing with the ring after your divorce.