If you think your spouse might be considering filing for a Pasadena divorce, there are several things you should do to protect yourself.
It is natural to be feeling hurt, angry, or scared if you think your spouse wants out of your marriage. However, the best thing you can do for yourself is to put aside these feelings and think about how you will look after your own interests if your spouse does decide to go through with the divorce.
Here are some tips that might be helpful:
- Copy documents such as tax returns, bank account statements, credit card statements, wills, and mortgage documents.
- Take an inventory of your major family possessions, including jewelry, antiques, and other valuables.
- Get a copy of your credit report and take steps to improve your credit history, if necessary.
- Go over your household budget and determine where your money is going each month. Look for items that you can cut if needed.
- If you don't already have a separate nest egg of your own, start a savings account and begin making deposits. You will need this money if your spouse unexpectedly moves out and stops helping to pay household bills.
- If you aren't currently employed, take stock of your earning potential. Start looking for a job or investigating training programs.
If you are not the one who wants to file for divorce, it can be hard to think about obtaining legal representation. Consulting an experienced attorney is a smart move, however. Most Pasadena divorce attorneys offer a free initial consultation. An attorney can answer any questions that you might have and advise you on how to protect your legal rights if your spouse does decide to file for divorce.
How Can We Help?
If you are in need of an experienced divorce lawyer, please call our office at (626) 683-8113 or email us at info@PasadenaLawOffice.com. Our Pasadena divorce attorneys are experienced in all aspects of California divorce law, including alimony, child support, child custody, and visitation.