When filing for divorce in Pasadena, parents often worry about how the split will affect their children. It's natural to be concerned for the welfare of your children, but keep in mind that divorce can be a positive learning experience for kids if their parents continue to work together to keep the lines of communication open.
Here are five lessons children can learn from your divorce:
- Marriage can be a wonderful thing, but you don't necessarily need to have a romantic partner to be happy. Adult children of divorce often say that the most important lesson their parents' split taught them was that it's OK to be single instead of settling for a partner who isn't a good fit. Make it your goal to show your children that life is too short to waste time being unhappy.
- They can learn how to adapt to unexpected circumstances. Living in two homes or having a new stepfamily is challenging, but learning to adapt to changes teaches children to be resilient. Let your divorce show your kids that they can be strong no matter what curve balls life throws them.
- It's important to know how to take care of yourself financially. This lesson is especially important for young girls. Fairy tales aside, it's better to know how to take care of yourself than to be stuck waiting for Prince Charming.
- You can work together to accomplish a goal even if you and your partner don't see eye to eye. Navigating a co-parenting relationship with your ex is going to be difficult at times, but you'll be teaching your children a valuable lesson if you can put aside your differences and work together to solve problems that may arise.
- There's power in forgiveness. When you let go of the hurt and anger from your divorce, you teach your children that moving on brings greater joy than focusing on the past. This is a lesson they'll apply throughout their lives, whether they're learning how to forgive a sibling for breaking a favorite toy or how to forgive a first love for breaking their heart.
How Can We Help?
If you are in need of legal representation during your divorce, please call our office at (626) 683-8113 or email us at info@PasadenaLawOffice.com. Our Pasadena divorce attorneys are here to advocate for the interests of both you and your children.