Is My Ex in Contempt of Court?


p>Ideally, your ex would willingly comply with the terms of your Pasadena divorce settlement and you'd be free to move on with your life as a newly single person. Unfortunately, some people fail to give court orders the respect they deserve. They refuse to pay child support, interfere with the court's decision regarding visitation schedules, or try to enter your home without your permission.

An ex who is failing to comply with the terms of your divorce decree is in contempt of court. He or she is breaking the law, so you don't have to put up with the misbehavior.

If your ex is defying a court order, your Pasadena divorce lawyer can help you complete the paperwork that is necessary to bring the matter before a judge. Some people hesitate to get an attorney involved because they fear repercussions from their ex, but having a professional available to advocate for your best interests is really the best way to handle the situation.

There are several agencies that can also provide help when your ex is defying a court order. If your ex is stalking you or has caused you physical harm, your local police department can intervene on your behalf. If your ex isn't paying child support, the California Department of Child Support Services can attempt to collect the debt or impose sanctions on your spouse to penalize him or her for not paying. If you are struggling financially and can't afford to hire a lawyer, Legal Aid can provide free legal assistance to help you take your ex to court. Legal Aid can also help you request fee waivers so that you do not have to pay to have the court handle the matter.

If your ex is found to be in contempt of court, he or she can be sent to jail. However, the judge will usually first give him or her a chance to voluntarily comply with terms of the court order.

How Can We Help?

If you are having trouble getting your ex to comply with the terms of a court order, please call our office at (626) 683-8113 or email us at Our team of experienced Pasadena family law attorneys can help you resolve the matter as quickly and efficiently as possible.