What Should I Do When My Ex Violates a Court Order?


When you file for divorce in Pasadena, the judge will set court orders that outline the parameters of your relationship with your ex in regards to issues like custody, visitation, child support, and the division of marital assets. Temporary orders are put in place when you file for divorce. These orders expire when your divorce is finalized and permanent orders are created.

Unfortunately, your ex might not follow a court order willingly. In an emotionally charged divorce, an ex might refuse to cooperate as a way to keep you in his or her life.

If your ex is not complying with the terms of your visitation schedule, refusing to pay child support, or withholding personal items that were awarded to you during the divorce, you don't have to accept being mistreated. There are a few different options available.

  • The best possible choice is to hire an attorney with the skills and experience needed to advocate for your interests. The family court system has procedures for handling post-divorce disputes, but they can be complicated at times.
  • Sometimes government agencies can help. If your issue relates to child support, you can turn to the state child support enforcement agency. If your issue relates to your ex harassing or stalking you, contact the local police for assistance.
  • If you absolutely can't afford to hire an attorney and help is unavailable from a government agency, you can be a pro se litigant and represent yourself. This can be time consuming, but there are different online resources that explain the process.

A party that is not complying with a court order is said to be in contempt of court. A person who is guilty of contempt of court can be imprisoned, although judges will generally give the person a final chance to comply with the order before resorting to jail time.

How Can We Help?

If you have questions about the court orders that were set during your divorce, please call our office at (626) 683-8113 or email us at info@PasadenaLawOffice.com. Our team of skilled Pasadena divorce attorneys is eager to assist you in any way possible.