How to Cancel Your Divorce


Part of the reason that California has a 180-day waiting period for divorcing couples is to give spouses a chance to change their minds before committing to a Pasadena divorce. Divorce is a serious life decision, so the state wants couples to be absolutely certain they wish to end their marriage.

If you are the spouse who filed for divorce and you've changed your mind, you can file a Request for Dismissal at any point before the judgment is entered. If your spouse filed a response, he or she must also sign the dismissal form. However, keep in mind that if you change your mind again, you'll need to pay the filing fee or complete forms for a fee waiver in order to restart divorce proceedings.

Simply failing to file the required paperwork will also stop your divorce proceeding. Once you bring a petition for divorce, you have to file income, asset, and debt disclosures, a judgment form and a notice of entry of judgment. If your spouse fails to respond to the petition, you have to file paperwork asking the court to enter a default judgment. If the forms aren't filed, the process stops.

If you aren't the spouse who initiated the divorce proceeding, you can't stop the divorce on your own. Your spouse has to be the one to initiate the Request for Dismissal.

If you or your spouse filed for joint summary dissolution and the judgment is not final, either party can stop the divorce by filing a Notice of Revocation of Petition for Summary Dissolution.

If you've changed your mind about wanting a divorce, you're in good company. Actor Dennis Quaid had been having marital troubles with third wife Kimberly Buffington-Quaid for quite some time before they filed for divorce last November. However, the couple managed to work out their differences before their divorce was finalized. Their case was dismissed last week. The couple was married in 2004 and have two children together.

How Can We Help?

If you are seeking legal representation during your divorce, please call our office at (626) 683-8113 or email us at Our Pasadena divorce attorneys can handle issues relating to concerns such as child support, child custody, visitation rights, spousal support, and the division of marital assets.