Child Support Payments and Driver's License Suspensions


Noncustodial parents who have been ordered to pay child support as the result of their Pasadena divorce should be aware that the court takes this obligation very seriously. Parents who fail to pay are subjected to several consequences, one of which is the suspension of their California driver's license.

If the noncustodial parent required to pay child support is 30 days or more behind on the payment, his or her name is submitted to the California DMV for driver's license suspension by the Department of Child Support Services. The noncustodial parent will receive a letter that states he or she has 150 days to get the issue resolved. If payment or alternative arrangements haven't made by this time, the noncustodial parent's license will be suspended.

Obviously, this presents several problems for a noncustodial parent. If the parent is unable to drive and can't find other means of transportation, getting to work will be very difficult. Those who must be able to drive as a job requirement may be suspended or terminated from their positions. This makes it even more likely that the noncustodial parent will continue to be behind on his or her child support payments.

Noncustodial parents who need to have their license reinstated should contact their local child support agency to discuss what needs to be done to have the license released. To find the location of the nearest child support agency, call (866) 901-3212.

If you are a noncustodial parent who is unable to pay child support due to illness, job loss, or other drastic changes in your financial circumstances, you can request that your support payments be reduced. Until a formal request is submitted and approved, however, you will continue to owe the predetermined support amount.

How Can We Help?

If you are behind on your child support payments and in need of assistance, please contact our office at (626) 683-8113 or email us at Our experienced Pasadena family law lawyers can help you determine what steps need to be taken to keep you out of arrears.