Any Pasadena divorce attorney who has been in business for more than a year or two will tell you that divorce brings out the worst in some people. When faced with the end of their marriage, some people resort to behaviors they'd never otherwise consider.
Some of the "dirty divorce tricks" that are surprisingly common include:
- Emptying joint bank accounts
- Selling your shared belongings without your consent and keeping the money
- Pressuring you to move out of the marital home, then claiming that you abandoned the family
- Using mutual friends to spy on you in person or through social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter
- Telling the children lies about you
- Preventing you from seeing or speaking to your children
- Falsely claiming that you are abusing the children
- Falsely accusing you of domestic violence
- Trying to provoke you to act out in a way that would look bad to the court
If your spouse is resorting to any of these dirty divorce tricks, the best thing you can do is to keep your cool and refuse to react. Retaliating sets in motion a chain of events where you both compete to see who can be the most vicious. This only results in a long and costly legal battle with added stress for your children. No matter how badly your ex is behaving, don't lose sight of the fact that your goal is to get the divorce finalized as soon as possible.
If your spouse is resorting to illegal behavior, such as emptying joint bank accounts or selling your shared belongings, contact your attorney as soon as possible to discuss what options you have for protecting yourself.
How Can We Help?
Please call our office at (626) 683-8113 or email us at info@PasadenaLawOffice.com if you are in need of legal representation during your divorce. Our Pasadena family law lawyers can assist with all types of divorce cases.