Although it's always a good idea to be cautious when it comes to protecting your privacy online, it's especially important to be aware of what information you're sharing when you're going through a Pasadena separation and divorce. You don't want your private communication to be used against you in court.
Here are some easy ways to protect your online privacy when you're going through a divorce:
- Change all of your passwords. Many spouses share passwords for Facebook, email, and other online services without thinking, or pick passwords that would be easy for a spouse to guess.
- Cull your friends list. Get rid of any friends on social networking sites who might be tempted to share info with your ex.
- Erase all of your automatically stored credit card information from any computer that your spouse might be able to access. You don't want to be responsible for your ex's unexpected Amazon shopping spree. Be aware of what features are on your phone.
- If you have an iPhone, there is an app called "Find My Friends" that can be used to track the location of people you've known. Location services apps that let you track a misplaced phone can also be used to monitor your whereabouts if your ex can guess the password.
- If you use a web based service like iCloud to backup your phone or laptop, remember that your information may be accessed through a shared family account.
If you have children with your ex, keep in mind that he or she might be able to use them to snoop into your personal life. For example, your ex might use your child's Facebook account to monitor what you've been posting. Or, if you purchased a new cell phone and gave your old one to your child without restoring it to factory default settings, your ex might be able to use it to read your old text messages and see who you have been calling.
How Can We Help?
If you are considering filing for divorce, please call our office at (626) 683-8113 or email us at info@PasadenaLawOffice.com. Our divorce law firm in Pasadena can provide the expert legal assistance you need to protect your interests during this time.