Spousal support, also known as alimony, is a form of payments provided from one spouse to the other after a divorce. The purpose of spousal support is to help the couple maintain the same living conditions they had during their marriage. One of the concerns that most couples have is the length and payment amount of spousal support. A judge will determine the length and amount of spousal support based on the couple’s unique circumstances. The Pasadena spousal support attorneys at Law Offices of Donald P. Schweitzer explains how spousal support is calculated in California.
Factors Considered to Calculate Spousal Support
There are various factors that California courts analyze to determine the amount and length of spousal support. Our team has put together a list of the things a judge will consider:
- The earning capacity of each party to maintain their standard of living during the marriage
- Each party’s marketable skills to obtain a job without it interfering with their children’s interests
- The extent to which the supported party’s present or future earning capacity is impaired by periods of unemployment
- How much the supporting party helped pay for the other’s education or career position
- The ability of the supporting party to pay spousal support. The judge will look at their earning capacity, earned and unearned income, and separate property.
- Each party’s obligations and assets
- The health and age of both parties
- The duration of the marriage
- Any history of domestic violence
- Any other factors the court determines are important
Call our Experienced Pasadena Spousal Support Attorneys!
Many factors come into play when the court determines the length and amount of spousal support. If you are afraid that you won’t obtain your desired outcome with the court in full control, couples can come up with a spousal support agreement. However, it does have to be fair, and the court will have to approve it.
Having an experienced attorney on your side can help you make the right decision to obtain your desired outcome. Our legal team at Law Offices of Donald P. Schweitzer has over 55-years of experience helping families throughout Southern California. If you need assistance with your spousal support case, our team is ready to help you.
Contact our Pasadena spousal support attorneys today at (626) 788-5225 to schedule a consultation!