How to Enforce an Alimony Order

If you were a stay at home parent or limited your work hours in order to let your spouse advance in his or her career, alimony payments can be an essential tool to help you get back on your feet after a Pasadena divorce. Unfortunately, being awarded alimony as part of your divorce settlement doesn’t guarantee that you'll receive the money you are entitled to.

Failing to make alimony payments means that your ex is disobeying a court order. A judge might adjust the payments if your ex is truly unable to pay because of illness, job loss, or a substantial change in financial circumstances and he or she has requested a modification of the original court order. But if your ex is just refusing to pay, however, the judge can hold him or her in contempt of court. This would mean possible fines and/or jail time.

Possible remedies to get your ex to pony up his court-ordered obligations include using a writ of execution to award you a portion of your ex’s CDs, bank accounts, or other assets; setting up an income-withholding order to take the payments out of his or her paycheck; or having the court issue a judgment against your ex for the total amount owed plus interest.

If you also have a child support order, you can contact your local child support agency for assistance getting your alimony order enforced. If you decide to hire an attorney to help you collect the alimony that you are owed, you can ask that your spouse be ordered to pay the legal fees you incurred in order to receive your payments.

How Can We Help?

If you are in need of legal representation to collect overdue alimony payments, please call our office at (626) 683-8113 or email us at Our Pasadena matrimonial law firm can help you collect the money that you are owed in a timely fashion.