Pasadena Prenuptial Agreement Attorney
Helping You Protect Your Future With a California Prenup
Anytime a couple decides to get married, they expect it to last forever. Unfortunately, statistics show that a large percentage of marriages end in divorce.
If you are getting married in Pasadena, the prenup attorneys at Schweitzer Law Partners encourage you to consider drafting a prenuptial agreement. A prenup can help protect your assets and property in case the future does not turn out as planned.
We understand that this may be a difficult decision and may even seem unnecessary, but we assure you that we only want the best for you and your future spouse. Prenuptial agreements are the wise choice for anyone who is about to get married.
What Is a Prenup?
In California, marital property will be divided according to state family law, which is a 50/50 division unless the two parties come to a different agreement—such as a prenuptial agreement.
Prenuptial agreements are legal documents that outline exactly what will occur with each spouse's assets and personal property in case of a future divorce.
Consult with an understanding Pasadena prenuptial agreement lawyer from our firm right away to learn what property you can protect through a prenuptial agreement. You and your future spouse will be able to have peace of mind about the future the moment your agreement is complete.
Why Should I Have a Premarital Agreement in California?
Don't think of a prenup as planning for divorce. Think of it as a way to make sure you are protected in the event something bad does happen.
Some people think of a prenup as "insurance" for your marriage, similar to how you buy car insurance to protect yourself in case you are involved in an accident while driving.
Who Can Get a Prenup?
Anyone getting married can get a prenup. That said, these agreements are most common among wealthier individuals.
Prenups for Breadwinning Spouses
- While many think of a prenup as a way to protect the higher-earning party, it's important to realize that your circumstances might change during the course of your marriage.
- If you are the higher-earning party, you might think that you don't need a prenup because your future husband or wife doesn't care about your money. Unfortunately, divorce brings out the worst in people.
- Even someone who claims to not care about your assets can have a change of heart in the middle of a messy divorce. This is especially true when they feel like you wronged them.
Prenups for Stay-at-Home Parents
- Further, prenups can also protect the lower-earning party by making sure their sacrifices and contributions are fully recognized.
- A common example is making sure that the spouse who plans to stay at home to raise the children will be recognized for their contributions should a divorce occur.
- The same goes for spouses who put their own careers on hold to support the dreams of the other spouse.
When Is a Prenup Unenforceable?
Prenups, when properly prepared by a qualified attorney, generally hold up in a court of law. However, it's important to note that you can't coerce the other party into signing the agreement.
What is coercion?
- Presenting the prenup shortly before the wedding with the threat of calling off the ceremony if the lower-earning spouse refuses to sign could be considered coercion.
- Making promises you don't intend to keep—such as promising to tear up the agreement after reaching a specific milestone and then changing your mind later—is also forbidden.
Other possible reasons a prenup can be thrown out include:
- Failure to obtain separate legal representation for each spouse at the time the prenup is drawn up and signed;
- The inability of one spouse to understand the terms of the agreement; or
- The deliberate withholding of key information regarding income or assets.
Contact Our Pasadena Prenuptial Agreement Attorneys Now
If you are in need a prenup attorney to draft a prenuptial agreement in Pasadena, The Schweitzer Law Partners can help you make educated and beneficial decisions in any legal area pertaining to your marriage or divorce. We handle cases ranging from prenuptial agreements and contested divorce to domestic violence and restraining orders. Whatever issue you are facing, our prenup attorneys can help!
Don't wait to set up your initial consultation to speak directly with a prenup attorney from our firm. Our legal team includes Certified Family Law Specialists and AV® Rated attorneys.
"The Schweitzer Law firm really help me and solve the issues I had. This is the law firm you can rely on. My attorney , Mr. Anthony Lai is very professional and responds your calls or emails immediately."
The Schweitzer Law firm really help me and solve the issues I had. This is the law firm you can rely on. My attorney , Mr. ...A.C.
"Highly recommend. To begin, Donald was very helpful in explaining the child custody process. He was open and honest about the pricing as well. Once we agreed to hire, Anthony Lai did a great job. It was a success. You get what you pay for!"
Highly recommend. To begin, Donald was very helpful in explaining the child custody process. He was open and honest about the ...S.S
I always felt I was in good hands and all I had to do is keep the faith.
He just won my 3 year long move away case. I couldn't be happier with the outcome he brought. Don and his staff have been ...Y.S.
Anthony and their team took care of my case, providing clear communication from the beginning.
Great experience! Anthony and their team took care of my case, providing clear communication from the beginning. The process ...I.M.
I was very touched by Mr. Donald Sweitzer's and Attorney Anthony Lai's emotional and physical support that they provided to me at court.
I have nothing to say but how appreciative I am to Mr. Donald Sweitzer and Attorney Anthony Lai for being next to me and keep ...E.E.
If I ever need legal advice in the future, I would definitely ask Anthony for assistance!
I was the respondent and had my own lawyer initially but I felt that my lawyer was trying to make the case more complicated, ...M.T.
Never before have I met such a wonderful, dedicated, and hardworking team of individuals.
I have nothing but amazing and wonderful things to say about this law firm. I have worked with them for about a year and let ...E.R.
I appreciate all of the firm's time and effort on my behalf.
Even though my case was relatively small, I still felt that I was a priority. I appreciate all of the firm's time and effort ...L.S.